The model for the ScaleACT -19 Kittyhawk Cup is the Eduard 1/48 MiG-21 “Weekend Edition” range and the Revell 1/48 MiG-21 SMT kits.
- Eduard 1/48 MiG-21R (kit 84123)
- Eduard 1/48 MiG-21PFM (kit 84124)
- Eduard 1/48 MiG-21MF (kit 84125)
- Eduard 1/48 MiG-21MF (kit 84126)
- Eduard 1/48 MiG-21PF (kit 84127)
- Eduard 1/48 MiG-21MFN (kit 84128)
- Eduard 1/48 MiG-21SMT/MT (kit 84129)
- Eduard 1/48 MiG-21BIS (kit 841231)
- Revell 1/48 MiG-21 SMT (kit 03915)
Kittyhawk Cup Rules.
- Only the kits listed above are eligible
- The competition is open to all modellers, ACTSMS members or not
- The model must be constructed strictly to ACTSMS ‘Out of the Box‘ rules. No materials not provided in the original box may be used. No aftermarket parts etc. No cross-kitting (transferring parts between boxings) permitted. The one exception to the Out of the Box principal relates to decals (see below)
- Modellers may finish their models using aftermarket decals and/or paint schemes
- Kittyhawk Cup entries will be judged as a stand-alone category, provided ACTSMS judging rules regarding number of category entries and entrants are met.
- Some of the Eduard 1/48 MiG-21 Weekend Edition kits include HGW superfabric seatbelts (in particular, kits 84127, 84123 and 84128). Modellers may use these kit seatbelts if they come supplied in your kit, but may not use separately-purchased aftermarket seatbelts.
- Some of the Eduard 1/48 MiG-21 Weekend Edition kit instructions require modellers to scratch-build cockpit sidewall detail. Modellers may follow the instructions and scratch-build parts as directed.
What is the Kittyhawk Cup?
The Kittyhawk Cup is a special Scale ACT judging category where all entrants must build a particular 1/72 aircraft model, to our “Out of the Box” rules.
Oh, and why call this special aircraft competition the “Kittyhawk Cup? This comes from a project undertaken by ACTSMS members to build eight Academy 1/72 P-40E Kittyhawk models in RAAF markings for the Australian War Memorial.