The Kittyhawk Cup subject for ScaleACT-20 is the Airfix 1/48 P-51 Mustang.
As of November 2019 this kit is available in four boxings, any/all of which are eligible for the Kittyhawk cup – to be specific:
Kittyhawk Cup 2020 eligible models:
- Airfix 1/48 North American P-51D Mustang (A05131)
- Airfix 1/48 North American F-51D Mustang ( A05136)
- Airfix 1/48 North American Mustang Mk.IV / P-51K Mustang (A05137)
- Airfix 1/48 North American P-51D Mustang (A05138)
Kittyhawk Cup Rules.
- Only the kits listed above are eligible for entry
- The competition is open to all modellers, ACTSMS members or not
- The model must be constructed strictly to ACTSMS ‘Out of the Box‘ rules. No materials not provided in the original box may be used. No aftermarket parts etc. No cross-kitting (transferring parts between boxings) permitted. The one exception to the Out of the Box principal relates to decals (see below)
- Modellers may finish their models using aftermarket decals and/or paint schemes
- Kittyhawk Cup entries will be judged as a stand-alone category, provided ACTSMS judging rules regarding number of category entries and entrants are met.
What is the Kittyhawk Cup?
The Kittyhawk Cup is a special Scale ACT judging category where all entrants must build a particular aircraft model, to our “Out of the Box” rules.
Oh, and why call this special aircraft competition the “Kittyhawk Cup? This comes from a project undertaken by ACTSMS members to build eight Academy 1/72 P-40E Kittyhawk models in RAAF markings for the Australian War Memorial.