What is the Kittyhawk Cup?
The Kittyhawk Cup is a special Scale ACT judging category where all entrants must build a particular 1/72 aircraft model, to our “Out of the Box” rules.
The model chosen as the subject for the ACTSMS Scale ACT ’17 Kittyhawk Cup is the Eduard 1/48 Spitfire “weekend edition” range of kits.
- Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk.VIII (kit 84139)
- Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk.XVI Bubbletop (kit 84141)
- Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXe (kit 84138)
- Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXc early version (kit 84137)
- Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXc late version (kit 84136)
Kittyhawk Cup Rules.
The Rules are very simple:
- only the kits listed above are eligible
- the competition is open to all modellers, ACTSMS members or not
- the model must be constructed strictly to ACTSMS ‘Out of the Box‘ rules. No materials not provided in the original box may be used. No aftermarket parts etc. No cross-kitting (transferring parts between boxings) permitted. The one exception is decals (see below)
- modellers may finish their models using aftermarket decals and/or paint schemes
- Kittyhawk Cup entries will be judged as a stand-alone category, provided ACTSMS judging rules regarding number of category entries and entrants are met.
Oh, and why call this special aircraft competition the “Kittyhawk Cup? This comes from a project undertaken by ACTSMS members to build eight Academy 1/72 P-40E Kittyhawk models in RAAF markings for the Australian War Memorial.